Quite true.......Of course, if you actually intend to select all fields,
using * is actually faster than writing out the fieldnames.  I might be
wrong, but I think I read this somewhere.  Please correct me if I am thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sandy Clark [mailto:slLists@;shayna.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 4:21 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: Big "dummy" flags

Speaking of queries.  Using Select * is usually the signal for either a
novice or a newbie.

Always write out the fieldnames.  Two reasons.

1) if you are only selecting a few fields from a table then the overhead
of retrieving everything is going to bog down your query.
2) if you select by fieldnames, then you can determine the order in
which items are retrieved. This is especially important if you are using
memo fields in Access or large text fields in other databases because
the database has to retrieve those as unbound fields (which is slower)
and after retrieving one unbound field, it will retrieve every other
field named after that one as unbound as well.