It's commonly called the supertrick. Here's an excerpt from one site:
http://www.geocities.com/poiuyt_1940/KLfaq.html#supertrick

What is The Supertrick

There is a way to disable access to certain websites by editing the HOSTS
file. Using this trick you can not only block ads and cookies, but also
websites that might compromize your privacy and security. This trick also
speeds up the loading time of websites.

How exactly does the HOSTS file work?

The short answer is that the HOSTS file is like an address book. When you
type an address like www.yahoo.com into your browser, the HOSTS file is
consulted to see if you have the IP address, or "telephone number," for that
site. If you do, then your computer will "call it" and the site will open.
If not, your computer will ask your ISP's (internet service provider)
computer for the phone number before it can "call" that site. Most of the
time, you do not have addresses in your "address book," because you have not
put any there. Therefore, most of the time your computer asks for the IP
address from your ISP to find sites.

If you put ad server names into your HOSTS file with your own computer's IP
address (Localhost: 127.0.0.1), your computer will never be able to contact
the ad server. It will try to, but it will be simply calling itself and get
sort of a "busy signal". Your computer will then give up calling the ad
server and no ads will be loaded, nor will any tracking take place. Your
choices for blocking sites are not just limited to blocking ad servers. You
may block sites that serve advertisements, sites that serve objectionable
content, or any other site that you choose to block. Also would it be
possible to redirect a website to another website by using that website's IP
adress in stead of your computers IP adress.

This HOSTS file is located here:

Linux
/etc

Windows 95/98/Me
c:\windows\

Windows NT/2000/XP
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\
c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\
(you may need administrator access for Windows NT/2000)

NOTE: The HOSTS file does NOT have an extention (extensions are the .exe,
txt, .doc, etc. endings to filenames). HOSTS.sam is just an sample file,
not the file you need to edit.
You can rename the file HOSTS.sam (a sample file) to HOSTS.

How to edit it:

CAUTION: Please make an backup copy before trying to edit the HOSTS file.

Windows users
You can open the HOSTS file by right-clicking on it and selecting "open
with". Then select Notepad.

Add the following lines to the end of the HOSTS file:
127.0.0.1 www.brilliantdigital.com
127.0.0.1 desktop.kazaa.com
127.0.0.1 shop.kazaa.com
127.0.0.1 www.bonzi.com
127.0.0.1 www.b3d.com

Linux users
1. Open up a command window and make sure you're logged in as root.
2. Type cd /etc to go to the right directory.
3. Type cp hosts hostsbackup to make a backup.
You can restore the backup later on if something would have gone wrong.
To do that, you need to type mv hostsbackup hosts
4. Open up host with your favourite text editor, by typing editorname hosts
(replace "editorname" by the name of your editor)
5. Copy the list of server names, along with 127.0.0.1 (localhost) into the
hosts file. Don't change any of the other information you find there, just
paste the list at the end of the file and save it. Quit the text editor.

Add the following lines to the end of the HOSTS file:
127.0.0.1 www.brilliantdigital.com
207.0.50.24 desktop.kazaa.com
127.0.0.1 shop.kazaa.com
127.0.0.1 www.bonzi.com
127.0.0.1 www.b3d.com

You can use this same method to block other websites. For a huge list of ad
servers and other annoying websites, view the HOSTS List page.

Tip
Instead of 127.0.0.1 you can also use 0.0.0.0 as the IP to redirect to.
This speeds up your surfing a bit, but it does not work on all systems.
[Back to Top]

What other IP's should I block?

While no one can say for sure which ones you SHOULD block, you can find a
giant list of IP's you might want to block on the HOSTS List page. Just a
list of adservers, spyware sites, and other annoying and bad stuff.

That link for the hosts file is:
http://www.geocities.com/poiuyt_1940/KLhosts.html

-Kevin