The Post's take on this case:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A15919-2002Dec5.html

Stance on Guns for Individuals Rejected
Court Slaps Down Ashcroft Policy

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 5 -- A federal appeals court ruling in defense of
California's ban on assault weapons has rejected a new Justice Department
policy asserting that the Second Amendment affords individuals, not just
state militias, broad rights to own guns.
In a 72-page opinion, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit said
today that Attorney General John D. Ashcroft's policy change, announced
last year, has no legal standing. The ruling conflicts with another federal
appeals court ruling in the 5th Circuit last year that formed the legal
basis for Ashcroft's decision.