In a well known case of Israeli airline security, a pregnant Irish woman was
taken aside and questioned. It turned out her Palestinian boyfriend had planted
a bomb on her and the security caught it. There are many other cases in the same
vein where someone totally unsuspecting carried an explosive or weapon onto a
plane and was stopped in time.
But those stories are of El Al. On the other hand, my parents came back from
Israel on Swiss Air and not only did they let my mother on the plane with her
manicure kit, they even let her luggage on with 2 bottles of Paraffin (basically
Kerosene).