Here's another thought on the matter, from what I hear Ireland is a pretty
happening place to be right now.

Some of my family in Dublin are working in tech companies and making pretty
good money.

From: Harkins,Patrick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 11:34 AM
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: Living in the UK (RE: Jobs FYI)

Hey, Erika~! :-)

A few thoughts on the UK/USA geo-cultural divide....

Britain seems wonderful to me but I have heard that London is pricey, no?
Also I have heard it is very fast-paced there (London) culturally and I find
our culture here in Canada already too fast-paced... On the other hand
obviously all of England is not London...

I'll be missing a thousand nuances here I'm sure, but
someone who lives in the UK was telling me that she felt kind of oppressed
by the weight of cultural tradition given that Britain has as a much older
society than Canada and the States, and she perceived North America as a
place where we are freer to make up our own rules due to our relative
youth..... not to mention the whole class-consciousness thing. (I think
that's especially true of Canada and one of the things I like about
it.)

If you consider the high population density in Britain as well I'm sure
there must be a romanticizing of the sense of wide open space that America
evokes. I haven't looked at any of the studies but it wouldn't surprise me
if personal distance and space were closer in the UK as well - though less
dramatically than in, say, Japan.

I am sure that the UK is no different than elsewhere in having a love-hate
relationship with USA culture. I'm sure if you dig a little deeper behind
those comments you will find a bunch of mixed feelings.

Also I heard an English music commentator remarking on the relative lack of
British influence in music today compared to the heyday of the Beatles and
the Stones... due largely no doubt to the dominance of the rap/hip-hop or
whatever you call it scene. Maybe that is affecting people's perception of
their culture there.... I think all that is mainly a question of trend and
fashion and has nothing to do with the essence of what's going on either
side of the Atlantic... Anyways if I had the chance to live there for a
while I'd grab it.... glad to hear you're having fun there, and here's to
more of it! :-)

Patrick