This came up in a discussion with a fellow cf developer:

He said that, as a rule of thumb, an update query is slower than a
insert or a select.

I said it was nominal, as 90% of the execution time goes to the query
plan.  Cfqueryparam's on your selects, inserts, and updates for the pk
to be hit would end up with all pretty darn close.

The only factor I could figure in was disk io to write on an update or
insert, vs a select.

I think, with good indexing, the where clauses used in a select, insert,
or update should make all three about the same for execution
time/performance.

On a side note, I should get out more... :D