I feel they were fine treaties.  Grand treaties.  Treaties to be proud
of.

> Should the Iraqis be held to these agreements?

Yes.

> What should be the penalties for not upholding them?

Not upholding a treaty is generally met with the dissolution of the
treaty.  There are no other penalties.  If we agree not to throw rocks
at each other and I throw a rock at you, you can then be secure morally
in throwing a rock at me.

> What about their obligations to the world community?

What about ours?

Your arguments are circumspect.  Iraq did not make treaties with the US,
the US did not attack Iraq.  In both cases the action was UN driven.

The US is now fighting a battle with the UN to uphold these
treaties/sanctions/agreements in the way that the US would prefer.  The
very fact that there is a battle indicates that the US is pushing in a
direction that the actual policing agency does not wish to go.

The question is should the US be placing itself in a position to police
UN treaties?  And, if so, why in this case and not in the many other
currently active hotspots?

There are other countries who meet their "world community" obligations
much worse than Iraq.  There are such countries who actually present a
threat to the US (where I'm not convinced Iraq does).  Will we police
them as well?

Jim Davis