Right on Tim, thanks for the info! I will plug away at it a little bit and
let you know what I find.

Thanks again,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003 3:33 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: SQL Sounds Like Matching

http://info-it.umsystem.edu/oradocs/doc/server/doc/CO20APP/ch10.htm#fnccntn

Down the page some they have a decent description of contains.  Only problem
is I can't get it work like the examples I am seeing in the book.

I can use the soundex() function in oracle no problem:

Select *
from members
where soundex(cFirstName) = soundex("tim")

When I try to use contains the way it says to like:

Select *
from members
where contains(cFirstName, "Tim")

It's throwing an erro sayin gthat the column name is bad, highlighting the
word contains in toad.  I haven't tried it in SQL+ yet but will do so now
that I thought of it :)

VarChar2() should be what it's built for.  I can't imagine it's going to do
clob or blob searches :)

Tim