The bunny and eggs are indicative of the pagan spring fertility festival
that was the   foundation of Easter.  It was later christianized and
attempts were made to downplay the original pagan customs but they've
never gone away.

In both cases (rabbits and eggs) the symbolism is fertility and renewal.
Sex and birth.  Candy is just a nice bonus (although candy, particularly
chocolate, has been considered an aphrodisiac by many cultures).

Until this there has never been a military or destructive slant put on
Easter that I've ever heard about.  Of course people can celebrate
holidays however they want - but it is a little twisted.

Jim Davis