From: Nick McClure [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 11:30 AM
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: Time to pick on the Germans...

Well, in general my answer is no, a country should not support the US if
and only if the US had provided aid in the past.

However, when we look at France and the current situation, we must
remember, part of the reason the US went down this path to begin with,
is because France made a promise, their ambassador to the UN told Powel
they understood resolution 1441 was a precursor to war unless Iraq met
the demands swiftly.

Similar sentiments came from Russia and Germany. Decisions were made
based on what they told us. Now when the US and the British are
following through on their promise, the other countries that made
similar promises, are no where to be found. Now France is saying they
would never support force in Iraq unless chemical weapons had been used,
a complete 180 on what they said with 1441.

They lied to us and stabbed Powel in the back; that was wrong.

Many people in both the US and Britain disagree with the war, but the
respective leaders have show evidence that has caused a lot of people to
change sides. As we are now in Iraq, and we see some of the things first
hand, how the troops are being treated by the civilians, it makes more
and more people understand some of the reasons, these things couldn't
not have been realized until after the troops were in there.

Sometimes people are so against something, it becomes a fault,
sometimes, no matter what the problem or the solutions, some times we
have to do things we don't agree with to get the job done.

Like I said many times before, War is never the "Right" thing to do, but
sometimes it is necessary to achieve the goals. If some people don't
agree, then that is fine, and in the end if I am wrong, I will eat my
words with humility, something I doubt the French or Germans will do.

---