Hi Beth!
That is very murky waters. But I have every confidence that if anyone can
handle it you can!
I'll bet you probably do too. People aren't much different that way than
dogs. They just require handling.
People gurd their agendas often because they don't understand the broader
picture, are afraid, and therefore see conflicts where there may not be any.

Here is your chance to step in and extract information so as to be able to
define the requirements of transactions between apparently conflicting
agendas. Usually the problem is just that they are ill-defined or not
defined at all. When you do that you will look real smart. Be sure to toot
your horn! :-)
By the way I am talking about the practical or business side of what is
involved in transactions between associated parties and not the political
stuff. Stay focused on the technical side and you should be ok, but you will
have to push past people's resistances. Stay calm and all will turn from a
negative to a positive and you will grow stronger!
"keep it together, keep it together" (from Bowfinger) :-)

Patrick