I have a collection of old (as far back as 1938 to the mid 70's) Amateur
Radio magazines.  On occasion I'll pick one out of the pile and read through
it to take a glimpse at the past... not just of Radio but of attitudes and
electronics.  I was reading in the May 1957 "CQ Radio Amateur's Journal" and
saw this in the back of the magazine:

"This is a message to all those shady characters who get their pudgy hands
on CQ without going through the formality of entering our subscription
rosters.  Sure, we know about you.  We have our scouts around reporting on
the dregs of humanity who sneak into public libraries and read CQ.  And
those so-called engineers who lift CQ from the company libraries.  Or maybe
you are a borrower from a friend.  Some friend you are... too cheap to get
your own library of CQ's.  I'll bet you know what the gang says about you
when you leave.
What say fellows... here it is 1957... it's Spring, why not hold your head
up with your fellow man.  Face the world squarely.  Fill out that little old
sub blank below and get the feeling of belonging.  Fill out a check or money
order and give us the feeling of your comeradeship... the feeling of your
money.  If you knew how important it was to us to get rich you wouldn't
hesitate another day."

What a way to advertise!  I think that's about as blunt as I've seen 'em!

Hatton

dependable ColdFusion Hosting.
http://www.cfhosting.com