TWussow wrote:

>What about some form of RCPTO verification - maybe develop a way of
>shaking hands with the host; verifying, then hanging up?

Pretty easy to do and even to write yourself in CF (+ a telnet component). Query your
email database, group by domain names. Then do a nslookup for the MX record. Connect
to it using telnet, do a HELO, followed by a MAIl FROM and then a RCPT TO for each
emailaddress in that domain. 5xx errors are permanent and you should remove the
addresses from your database. End with a QUIT.
I do it manually all the time to verify email addresses when I hunt spammers.

>If I were a postmaster, I think that I would be in favor of some sort of
>coop cleaning routine among honest (non-spamming) marketers, say once
>per month?!?!?

No. Only makes it harder to find the spammers doing a dictionary probe because the
logfiles are larger.
I would prefer the sending mail server to be smart enough to remove people when
sending normal mail, instead of having to probe for it.

Jochem

ColdFusion and related topics.