I've just finished my ASP.net book and what I've come away with is:  This seems
like kludge, at least on the GUI side.

The book I read raved on about how the abstraction of the HTML was so wonderful.
 I really don't understand how <asp:label runat="server" text="hello"> is any
better or easier that <span>hello</span> .  I know that there are more complex
tags, but it seems to me that it's nothing that can't be done with dhtml/javascript.

I'm amazed at how much post-back was relied on for interaction, especially when
you consider that keeping viewstate increases page sizes immensely when using so
databound controls.  I'm thinking that a lot of this interaction could be
accomplished with javascript (qforms) and require less traffic and have a better
response.

I do think that using ASP.net on the backend might be useful, but I'm still
convinced that Flash remoting would be a better interface for the GUI.  The
methods that ASP.net uses to simulate a fat client just seem to be so much
kludge, it seems that its bound to make inefficient interfaces.

Another thing that caught my attention was when the author said "using the .net
framework allows the programmer to access the entire machine".  Is this
something that we really want given Microsofts security issues in the past.
Will this open up more machines to successful hacking attempts?  I'm not enough
of a systems programmer to know this, it just perked up my ears when I read it
though.

Marlon