For snipers 100 meters is nothing. The current record was set in
January 2002 when a sniper shot a Taliban soldier from just under 2
miles distance.

 From what I've read it was justifiable shooting. It was in a middle
of a busy market place. There were lots of weapons around. Not
somewhere where I would want to go into.

larry

>Are they? That's what I am asking. I see your point, which was my second
>thought. Anyone selling arms is unlikely to go quietly and hell no we wont
>go might well translate to soldier casualties.  Still troubles me to shot
>them from 100 yards away though.
>
>Dana
>
>>  Not sure about this one. The soldiers were operating within their
>>  rules of engagement. Besides those men who were shot had a serious
>>  amount of ordinance. Are you willing to sacrifice whomever would try
>>  to arrest the arms dealers in this case? You have to consider that
>>  always. If I was a platoon commander there I'd be tempted to do the
>>  same as the officer in charge.  Consider my riflemen first rather
>>  than a legalistic nicety in this case.
>>
>>  The most I ever had to face in Cyprus was illegal gas and groceries
>>  that people would smuggle across the green line. That and we did find
>>  an old Lee-Enfield rifle (pre WW2 era) that someone was trying to get
>>  across to the Turkish side.
>>
>>  larry
>>
>>  >Am trying to decide what I think of this. Seems like the thing to do would
>>  >have been to arrest them but perhaps it was decided that hey there were
>>  >weapons there and there was too much danger to soldiers....perhaps
>>  >defensible as I guess Iraq is still under military law.
>>  >
>>  >I doubt it made us too many friends in that marketplace however, even
>>  >assuming that none of those killed were innocent bystanders.
>>  >
>>  >I'd be interested in hearing from some of the ex-military here as to
>>  >whether this is standard operating procedure.
>>  >
>>  >http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36312-2003Aug8.html
>>  >
>>  >Dana
>>  >
>>  >But I don't make films
>>  >But if I did they'd have a samurai - Bare Naked Ladies
>>  >

dependable ColdFusion Hosting.
http://www.cfhosting.com