I think there is a difference Jim,

Illegal immigration is just that illegal, whether its people from South
America crossing the Mexican border with Coyotes (people who for a hefty
fee, guide them in avoiding the border patrol), or people from Europe or
Australia who overstay their visitors visa.

There is a HUGE difference between those people who immigrated here through
the process and those who don't.

My grandparents came over in the Eastern European wave in the early 1900's.
They did so legally as so many people did at that point.  Sure my
grandparents worked hard once they got here, but so do many people who are
here illegally.  But there is a difference, the people who come over
illegally are just that here against the current prevailing US law.

Coming from California, I have seen first hand how strained the system is,
providing services (such as health care and education) to people who are in
this country illegally. California tried passing a law (proposition 187)in
1994 which specifically stopped illegal aliens (those who cannot establish
their status as a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident, or an alien
lawfully admitted for a temporary period of time) from receiving medical or
other public services and education.  The law passed, but you should have
seen the protests on it.  Ultimately the law was "put on hold" by a federal
court, but you can imagine the frustration the people from Califonia felt
with the system (and lack of Federal controls) in order to pass it and Gov
Davis killed it outright in 1999.  (Note, I'm neither advocating nor
opposing the Proposition, just reporting it).

To me being against illegal immigration isn't a cultural bias it's the fact
that illegal immigration eats up resources. There are reasons why there are
limits on immigration worldwide.  Its funny in a way, since Mexico has very
strict immigration laws for residency in Mexico
(http://www.usembassy-mexico.gov/eMexImmigRegs.html#Immigrant%20Status) yet
they protested the hell out of Proposition 187.