good point but come on, it's not *that* hard

The current logic is:

If StateHasIncomeTax = Y
   If StateReturnFiled = N
      StateTaxOwed = (FederalAGI * AppropriateStateTaxRate) + Interest

How much better would it be to say

If StateHasIncomeTax = Y
   If StateReturnFiled = N
      StateTaxOwed = StateTaxableIncome * AppropriateStateTaxRate

Which is information that is available right there on the same W2 form. I
mean, it seems this isnt just Maryland. This logic is being applied to
everyone, and could produce erroneously high results in the case of anyone
who has lived in their current state for less that a year. That has to be a
lot of people, Florida, Texas and Washington notwithstanding.

Anyway. Yeah, a state income tax is one of the things Maryland has working
against it. Just one of the reasons I plan to live elsewhere forevermore...

Dana