I signed up for ResumeBlaster when I first started my search last year,
thinking that getting my resume out to as many people as possible.  Out
of some 10,000 resumes sent out, I got nothing - not a single solitary
real response, aside from a handful of "Thanks for sending your resume,
we'll review your qualifications and never get back to you" form emails.

I then put a lot more work into following individual leads, sending
non-folded resumes on heavy cotton stock to actual people (some phone
calls gets me the name of the correct contact - secretaries are *so*
friendly).  I also redesigned my resume to look ridiculously traditional
and conservative (hello, serif font) and I was very successful.  I don't
know if that was an anomaly or not, but when I actually stopped emailing
a word doc of my resume and instead did my job search the traditional
way, I landed a job in no time.

I haven't read anything along these lines yet, but I know other people
who employed those tactics and are happily employed now, as well.  Maybe
it's an employer backlash to the glut of faceless Word Doc resumes?

- Jim