From: William H Bowen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 11:46 AM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Re: Banking Stupidity II

Ran into this just the other day.

USBank has a list of pending transactions. By their definition, pending
== not posted

granted, if all the transactions shown as pending had posted I would
have been short by a serious amount, *but* they didn't post and I got
charged anyway.

to the tune of $320 (10 x $32.00)

in the meantime I had deposited funds that would have covered the amount
due, but since it was a check they only "credited" $100 of the total
($400) to my acount until the check cleared the writer's account.

also, four of the charges that I had "overdrafted" did not clear until
two days *after* they had so elegantly bounced them for me.

New policy they apparently announced in August. I keep all
correspondence that I receive from my bank (They're quite the spammers
when it comes to Life insurance, big file). Hmmmm...couldn't find that
particular gem.

I'll be finding a new bank this weekend. According to Washington
Mutual's web site (where unlike USBank they actually post their account
and accounting policies) they only assess overdraft charges when an
account is overdrawn at the time of posting not authorization. Maybe
I'll give them a try.

Oh, and the guy on the phone at USBank actually said, "We cannot help it
if you are irresponsible with your finances, we are only collecting fees
which are rightfully owed to us due to your negligence." I asked if he
thought it was negligent that the bank allowed debit transactions to
"clear" when the bank knows there are pending transactions that
overdraft the account? He said. "It is the customer's responsibility to
know their own balance at all times." and I should just be thankful they
didn't return the charges "unpaid"

I also asked why it was that a merchant (i have a merchant account at
the same bank) could not rely on the funds being immediately available
upon deposit? He said that the funds are not transferred to the merchant
account until posting. So I asked, why is there a different policy then
regarding withdrawal of funds. He said there was no difference. Seems if
you authorize a charge you've as good as taken the money out of the
account though if you accept a charge you won't get full credit until
the account posts. Seems a bit hinky...

But that's just me. I apparently am woefully inadequate when it comes to
logic and mathematics.

will

   _____