Thanks for the answer. What my problem was that the object i was passing was not a movieclip - it was a button, and there is not a _name property for a button, only a movieclip.  I changed all of my buttons to movieclips and the problem was solved.

- Matt Small

----- Original Message -----
  From: cantrl. a
  To: CF-Community
  Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 4:50 PM
  Subject: Re:Anybody up for a flash question?

  I think if you replace 'set' with 'var', you should be in good shape.

  Set is used like a function: set("variableName", _expression_);

  Much like the setVariable function in coldfusionMX.

  You can always press shift-F1 to go to the actionscript reference from the flash IDE. You can also highlight an actionscript function and press shift-F1 and if it recognizes it, will go to that part of the docs. (would be awesome if homesite did that for cf tags/functions - does anyone know if it does?)

  FYI, this worked for me.

  function traceMovieName(myObj) {
  var myObjectName = myObj._name;
  trace(myObjectName);