I agree that the end was a bit sappy. If they were going to spend that much time on wind up they should have used Tolkien's ending and accounted for what happened to Saruman. As it was, even I, a rabid LOTR fan --- I read the book who knows how many times and was learning dwarfish runes at one point --- even I was squirming at the end. And my daughter, who has seen movie 1 once only and read none of the books, noticed that Saruman was unaccounted for.

I also agree that the wound never really healing is a) not from the book and b) weak. As I recall the elves offered Bilbo and Frodo a place to honor their part in the history of the rings. The elves were leaving and goign home because of the waning of the three rings' power, remember... it would have made sense to me at least. And no, it isn't exactly heaven.. more like the Western Isles that pop up in British mythology. Kinda like the place King Arthur went, to simplify quite a bit.

On the other hand. Some of the dialogue that was inserted was extremely witty. Quite a bit of actual acting fleshed out what in the book is essentially a heroic epic. Overall I was very impressed.

My favorite bit was when the rider grabs Merry and says "ride with me", and he grins and says "My lady." In fact, the whole Eowyn subplot was very well done.  I think the bit with the beacons was Jackson, but my son liked that and so did I. Denethor's madness was a bit overdone, but it provided good contrast for Faramir.

Dana