  From: dana tierney [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: 06 January 2004 16:23
  To: CF-Community
  Subject: Re:Generational Math

  I got involved in some family research recently, and found this too. A lot
of Quebec familes go back to just a few boatloads of people. Matter of fact,
they shipped a couple of boatloads of women out for the soldiers who were
the first to arrive. These women were called "filles du roy" or king's
daughters since the crown paid their passage and dowry. Someone in Ontario
with a lot of time has traced out all the descendants of a single resident
of Upper Canada named Nancy Buell. Apparently there are thousands of them,
many still living in Ontario, including my mother, who is considering
attending the reunion this year. It *is* a bit spooky to chat with someone
whose great great grandmother was your great great grandmother's
sister...even spookier is not being able to figure out the relationship, as
we have found on the Irish side. A lot of Irish birth and death records were
burned in some sort of uprising in the early 20th century. So all research
falls back on parish records, which were often in Latin and recorded only
first names of the parents of the child being baptized.