From: John Stanley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: January 9, 2004 2:07 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Space Colonization -- Good or Bad Idea

I havent seen a thread on this list about this topic in a while, and in
light of the upcoming Bush speech on a permanent Moon base as well as a
manned mission to Mars.

I think we should colonize space. It's a good idea for our species as a
whole. Maybe, eventually it will relieve some of the pressures we are
inflicting on the earth, although I have a sneaking suspicion that there
wouldnt really be a huge push to do this until we were as a species strapped
for recources here on Terra Firma.

Also, hopefully another space race with lofty will push technology forward
again, maybe even help us figuire out fusion power.

I happen to think that civilizations should have at least one great project
that they are working on. Okay, maybe that is from too many months playing
the Civ games but it seems to make sense. They spark techology advances, and
employ vast amounts of people.

So what do you guys think?

Plus, we may one day have ray guns!!!!