Http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/01/14/rover.mars.reut/index.html

We're driving the robot on Mars... But my favorite part of the article:

A reconstruction of the landing showed that Spirit's computers unexpectedly
deployed the lander's parachute about a mile (1.6 km) lower than the
targeted altitude. The craft was hurtling toward the ground at 920 miles per
hour (1,480 kph) when the parachute opened 7.5 kilometers (4.6 miles) above
the ground, said Rob Manning, entry descent and landing manager.

The spacecraft, shielded by airbags, bounced 28 times for nearly a minute
before coming to rest about 300 meters from where it first hit the planet.

"It was an easy landing," Manning said. "You realize that robots have nerves
of steel -- or nerves of copper wire."

---