Well, I beg to differ.

> Atkins says "carbs bad", all carbs. Protein and fat good. Ugh.

Ugh, yes, if only it were true. But it isn't...Atkins (who has BTW
modified and refined the diet over the years) recommends that one stay
away from refined flours and sugars and recommends higher dietary fiber
intake. Take a look at the Atkins bars in the grocery store next time
you're there... and how about that low carb (low sugar) bread (Though it
has the texture a banana bread which is a little weird on a
turkey/cheese/lettuce sandwich)?

And yes, he does (did) distinguish between good fat and bad fat.

> but that they published before a lot of the current research on
metabolism and cardiovascular health.

Why does everyone assume that Atkins stopped researching when he first
published thirty plus years ago? Did your doctor stop studying and
learning once he/she earned his degree?

> My cardiologist approves of South Beach. He does NOT approve of Atkins.

hmm... my doctor approves of both. I guess the jury is still out... My
doctor approves of the progress I've made on the Atkins diet, as I'm
sure your doctor does of your progress on the South Beach. And good for
you, too. I wouldn't dream of suggesting that your success is a fluke or
an anomaly, so please don't take this as a criticism of your dietary
choice. It's not.

> The "no carb" phase of South Beach is only two weeks.

Oddly enough, the Atkins Induction Phase ("No Carbs") is also (scroll
down...spoilers below...)

..

..

..

*gasp*
..

..

..

two weeks long. And includes in the recommended lunch, a nice Green
salad with dressing.

Oh and Atkins also said his diet wasn't for everybody. And it isn't. But
it works. For me. YMMV

will