From: Erika L Walker-Arnold [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 10:47 AM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Responsible Breeding (was RE: Newest Puppy)

not answering for Beth (just happen to be replying to this question is
all ...), giving my two cents worth from my experience, Animal adoption
is a close cause to my heart.

Information gleened over the years (from my first purebred Siberian
Husky bought from a breeder) and from the Greyhound and adoption groups
we now belong to (dog and cat):

"a responsible breeder does not breed dogs as a sole source of
income...or expect it to be a sole source of income."

Here's a breakdown by one person:
http://www.sheltie.com/kozak1.htm <http://www.sheltie.com/kozak1.htm>

It is often a hobby. But a dedicated hobby. Breeders are supposed to
care about the breed and take steps to further the breed by carefully
selecting the right lines to breed to.
Sometimes a husband or wife will be a breeder while the other works.
Sometimes they make income by showing (handling) other people's
dogs/cats in the ring.
Sometimes they board other people's pets/show dogs/cats.

This affords them the money to pay vet bills and feed bills. Does anyone
realize how expensive the first round of vet checkups and shots for
puppies and mother care is for a dog?

Many breeders will sell show quality puppies to "owners" who then pay
for the upkeep of the dog/cat whilst the "handler" shows them in the
ring. (this varies greatly depending on breed I believe, Beth may know
more) Once the show career is over, depending on the success usually, a
responsible brreder evaluates whether or not they have the qualities
that would be beneficial to the breed and perhaps either encourage
whomever own said dog/cat to mate them with another that would benefit
the line. Otherwise a breeder neuters/spays and then looks for a pet
home for the ex-show dog.

Breeding dogs/cats to sell to ANY pet shop anywhere without a contract
between the breeder and the buyer and a guarantee that the dog/cat goes
back to the breeder is NOT a responsible method of breeding in my
opinion. Then again in my opinion I do not believe in just letting a dog
run loose outside that is not in a fenced in yard (with no supervision -
I am not talking about someone walking with there dog in the park,
though I have a whole other opinion on that as well).

We've passed many dead dogs and cats lately, and it's been so cold ... I
don't understand why people would have a dog or cat and then not let it
join the family in the house. <shrugs>

I thought this website gave some excellent definitions on what a
responsible breeder does ...
http://www.dog-play.com/ethics.html <http://www.dog-play.com/ethics.html>

Some other links (they may be geared toward one breed, but most links
have the same message):
http://www.saveourstrays.com/misconce.htm
<http://www.saveourstrays.com/misconce.htm>
http://www.hsus.org/ace/11758 <http://www.hsus.org/ace/11758>
http://www.angel-litemaltese.com/Obtaining_a_Maltese_Puppy.htm
<http://www.angel-litemaltese.com/Obtaining_a_Maltese_Puppy.htm>
http://www.psychopup.com/tb/dontbuy.html
<http://www.psychopup.com/tb/dontbuy.html>
http://www.italiangreyhound.org/buydog.html
<http://www.italiangreyhound.org/buydog.html>

DISCLAIMER: I have not read every word on those websites. I am also not
a breeder, do not want to be one, I'm just concerned about the millions
of animals across the US with no homes, getting turned into pounds and
put to sleep every week. :( Obviously we can't save them all, but we can
always try and spread the word and educate right?

One last final parting tidbit from cbs's site. Number may be inflated a
bit, but even if they were a million off, it's sad:

"(CBS) Did you know the number of homeless pets in this country is
staggering?
To empty the cages at every U.S. animal shelter, each household in the
country would have to adopt six cats and two dogs, reports The Early
Show resident veterinarian Debbye Turner.
Eight to ten million dogs and cats entered U.S. shelters last year. A
little more than half of them were euthanized."

Cheers,
Erika