If one had, say, one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/37xae

What is the best software to make backups of my movies onto dvd+/-r?  I
just want to be sure they will play on the most number of standard
players possible.

I'm resurfacing, double-backup-ing, and mp3ing all of my cd's, as I'm
tired of buying my favorites 3 or 4 times because of carelessness, dog
chewings, or just life in general.  I'm wondering if I should do the
same with my video media as well..

A friend recommended dvd shrink, which he said was free/opensource,
before trying the 100$ or so software you can get online or in stores(I
think its dvd xcopy or something?).

Has anyone used  <http://www.dvdshrink.org/> dvd shrink?

I'd like to stick as close to an exact disk duplicate as possible,
keeping all the special features and the like, even if it means going to
double disk per "real" dvd to compensate for double density burner
absence.  Basically, I'd like the same as a nero cd copy for my music
cds.

But I think he mentioned that there was also software that would let you
add or remove different sections.  For instance, burning just the movie,
keeping the special features and the main movie but not scene
selections.  Is there anything out there like that?  I don't mind
spending a little ching for good software, but I also like to check out
the opensource offerings as they can sometimes beat the mainstream and,
even better, are free(more cash for toys, yeah?).

Cheers,

Matthew