Raymond Camden wrote:

> And I think that is where you and I disagree.

The only place where I stated my opinion was where I said I would like MS to stop selling to Europe. The rest is just some explanation about how things work.
So am I to understand you don't want Microsoft to abandon Europe?

> What exactly is dependancy?

In this context, the Dutch definition is:
"Een onderneming wordt geacht een aanmerkelijke marktmacht te hebben, wanneer zij een economische kracht bezit die haar in staat stelt zich in belangrijke mate onafhankelijk van haar concurrenten, klanten en uiteindelijk consumenten te gedragen."

I would translate that as:
An economic entity is presumed to have considerable market force when it possesses an economic power that allows it to behave considerably independent of competitors, customers and eventually consumers.

You might find a better translation in directive 2002/21/EC and similar documents.

> Take another analogy - What if MS decided it would no longer sell Windows?
> Would the government have the right to force them to keep selling it? I
> don't believe they would have that right.

Oddly enough not. In many other fields the government does have that right. Consider copyright, where the government can force a company to allow its product being redistributed over radio and cable. Try to get a copy of Lawrence Lessigs latest book for more examples. (I don't see a prima facie reason to distinguish between redistributing a TV program and redistributing Windows.)

But to answer the unspoken question: I can't think of any good reason why a government should have that right in the current situation.

Jochem