I think the only editions being released by Disney are the "special
editions".  They do seem, however to treat the recent theatrical releases
differently from the older films (both "Kiki" and "Castle in the Sky" had, I
think, much better DVD releases than "Mononoke" and "Spirited Away").

Also, just to set the record straight - Disney has never released "Totoro"
here - the release you're probably talking about was the old Fox issue.
It's been attacked by some (mostly for the translation and voice acting) but
I thought they could have done much, much worse (just take a look at the US
release of "Nausicca" to see what I mean).

The Disney release of "Totoro" should be much better.  No only to pack the
discs with specials, but (I think more importantly) they work hard to
attract top voice talent and (I think most importantly) top-tier translators
and writers.     Japanese (and Japanese concepts) doesn't always translate
well to English and getting a good writer/translator team makes an enormous
difference.

So far I've really got no complaints at all at Disney's handling of the
films, although I do wish that they'd be a bit more aggressive with their
theatrical releases (even with the Oscar "Spirited Away" still saw only
limited release).

Jim Davis

  _____