Me wonders, would it have been better to tone it down from reality, or go with the full blown real life grotesqueness?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Lyons, Larry
  To: CF-Community
  Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 8:29 AM
  Subject: RE: Monday morning and Schindlers List

  It was a very difficult movie to watch. Once was enough for me. According to
  what some Holocaust survivors told me, it was toned down from reality.

  As an aside, my father was a tank commander in the Second World War with the
  Canadian Army. In 1945 his unit was ordered to assist a British commando
  unit in liberating one of the camps of the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp
  complex. Of course all the "brave" SS guards had fled, leaving the camp
  guarded by the local territorial forces (mainly old men and boys). After my
  father's unit went into the camp, he began taking pictures of the camp and
  the conditions inside of it. He never let the family see these photographs
  until I was adult. The photos were horrific. I am still astounded how some
  can claim that the Holocaust never happened given the weight of the evidence
  from so many sources. After my father died, we donated these photos to the
  Canadian War Museum. I do not think they on display, but I do know that they
  are properly archived.

  Larry