That was the promise 5 years ago: when GPUs could take over the bulk of the
graphics processing we'd see the CPU left free to do insanely advanced AI,
environmentals, etc.

Just doesn't seem to have taken off like promised.  ;^)

As far as I'm concerned we still haven't seen that quantum leap in gameplay.
We've had hundreds of tiny, incremental improvements, yes - but nothing that
really screams out "wow, this is different" like "Half-Life" did.  Maybe
it's just harder now.  I mean when you really think about it all "Half-Life"
really did was add a good story.  All "Doom" really did was add incredible
(for the time) graphics and ultra-violence.  All "Quake" really did was add
3D and high population multiplayer.

Have we simply entered a period where all the "easy" stuff has been done?
Are our only options now to improve graphics and combine genres?

The most innovative "title" I've played in the past coupla years has been
the Eyetoy - and that's clearly a hardware advance.  "Lifeline" (and
"Seaman" before it) are muddy successes on the same order (leveraging novel
hardware to expand gameplay).

Jim Davis

  _____