D.C. Dispatch | May 5, 2004

Legal Affairs

The Fragility of Our Freedoms in a Time of Terror   The Supreme Court's
oral arguments in the "enemy-combatants" case    underscore the
fragility of our freedoms, and of our lives, in this scary new century.

by Stuart Taylor Jr.

Deputy Solicitor General Paul Clement argued skillfully before the
Supreme Court on April 28 for President Bush's claim that the military

can grab any American suspected of being an "enemy combatant," anywhere,
at any time, and hold him incommunicado for months, years, even for

life, with no chance to see a lawyer or tell a court that he is an
innocent civilian.

The justices were probably unaware that Clement and most other top
Justice Department officials had strongly advised the White House to
reject the disdainful stance toward due process of law favored by Donald

Rumsfeld's Defense Department. But Rumsfeld and the White House would
not budge. (This is according to three people privy to the sometimes
heated internal administration debates on enemy combatants, which

Clement declines to discuss.)

HYPERLINK
"http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/nj/taylor2004-05-05.htm"http://www.
theatlantic.com/politics/nj/taylor2004-05-05.htm

------

Is this for real? Are the laws in the US that broad that this sort of
thing can actually be done?

I think this is an exaggeration isn't it?

-Gel

---