I have seen some sites that show you a list of files that you can
download.  Each link has something unique appended to it to
differentiate the actual file.  When you click on the link, instead of
actually letting you download, it passes you off to a 2nd page.   It's
the second page that has the security setup.  To get to the second page
you must have the correct security settings and once you are on the
page, only the file you requested is linked to.

Theoretically, someone who receives the url of the actual file could
still download it, but in general, you would only see a single file link
in your browser since the larger list only references the secure page.
This allows you to use straight html links for your files without having
to use cffile or cfcontent.

Of course, I haven't tried this.  Make sure you put your entire source
code out there first to test out the ability for outsiders to steal your
products before going live with something valuable :-)

Ryan