Some progress on this. I got some control by editing the registry ...
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Macromedia/Studio5/FileLocations/StartupDir

I also followed someone else's suggestion about placing a shortcut to my
preferred startup dir inside the startup dir where CF5 wants to go. After
these two changes, everything now defaults to that preferred startup dir.
However, if I go into Extended Find or Extended Replace, and look at the
selected "In folder" option, it shows the last-searched directory in the
horizontal text field. When I was using CF4.5 I could click the folder
symbol to the right of that and it would take me to that last-searched
directory and let me navigate up or down. With CF5 it shows me a much higher
level (Desktop) and makes me drill back down to where all the templates are
located. Something is still broken.

Keith Purtell, Web/Network Administrator
VantageMed Operations (Kansas City)
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message, including any attachments, is
message.