We purchase and install both for customers nearly every week with our hosting side of
the house.  They are both owned by Verisign now, and Thawte just raised their price
from $149 to $199 (I think that is right).  Thawte's service level has definitely
increased since they upped the price, so I think it was worth it.  They both work
EXACTLY the same on your servers, and they both go through a VERY similar process for
verification of your organization, right to use the domain, etc...

Most people think these SSL keys are an encryption tool or technique.  It ISN'T.  It
is simply a verified method of properly identifying the party on the other end of the
Net that is serving you confidential content or asking you for confidential data.  It
simply AUTHORITATIVELY tells your customers that VantageMed IS VantageMed when you
push them to a site using SSL/HTTPS.

Right now the other NON VERISIGN owned party out there with any market share seems to
be Entrust (www.entrust.com).  They are about $149 or so, and the word we get from one
of our hosting customers that uses them is that they do a good job turning around the
keys when you request them.

Sorry for the lesson...

By the way, we are a Thawte Partner, so we can usually push the process along a bit
for you if you buy the keys through us.  I would allow 5-10 business days for you to
get all the stuff signed off on their end, which we can usually reduce to 2-5 days.

Robin Greenhagen
President
GSI
http://www.gsi-kc.com/