I have a project where people can track their progress though a training program. One of the things they need to do is view images that they uploaded to our server and there are a couple of other files that relate to them and them only.
The thing I'm agonizing about is rather to store the files (gifs and pdfs) in directories and store the path to the files in a database and coming up with some sort of elaborate algorithm to make sure all the files had unique names OR just storing the gifs and pdfs in the database itself. I've never actually done the latter but I have seen it done with images never with pdfs. The latter method seems easier to me but I read that actually putting the files in the DB creates a performance hit.
Opinions? Wisdom anyone care to share?
Win 2k Server
CF5
SQL Server 2k