On May 6, 2009, at 5:37 AM, Jonathan Gregory wrote:

Dear John

He believes other terminology will be opaque
and ambiguous, and therefore essentially useless.

Perhaps you could ask him, not what he calls
the quantity normally, but how would he answer, in one sentence, the question, "What does that mean?", if he was giving a seminar in which he mentioned the concept of pH total scale to a scientifically literature audience who were not
ocean chemists. Such people could be expected to know that pH measures
hydrogen ion concencentration in some way, but not any more details. Surely it must be possible to say, in a phrase, what "total scale" indicates sufficiently
to get across the point of it, if not the details?

Jonathan, all,

Yes, I have asked that question. Short answer: No, I don't think it is possible to say what this means in the type of phrase you are looking for. Hence my conclusion that we may be stuck.

Having spent the last two weeks learning 'what does that mean' -- well, as much as high school chemistry allows -- I will give you his answer, then mine. It may help the list to know that most folks don't measure it directly (what we do at MBARI), especially in the deep ocean. Instead, pH is more commonly determined as the solution to an equation with several other measured components, and it appears to be the entire interaction of that chemical system that is referenced by the term, not simply a characterization of the single measurement. (The other chemical parts of the system determine key equilibrium constants that help specify the resulting interactions and the conversions between scales.) That may be a reason it resists summary.

His answer: "There are several systems for measuring pH in sea water, and this one best takes into account the chemistry and other interactions at the depths we make these observations." (Yes, I know that is not sufficiently descriptive for your purposes.) Any attempt to get a more concrete summary immediately devolves into detailed explanations of chemistry; our previous attempts at summary concepts appeared to be unsatisfactory on their face. We have since asked 2 of the leading experts in the field, with nearly identical results. (They offered a second reference[1] in support, and another set of explanatory detail, below -- note its final summary.) If there were any readily acceptable answer I think we would have found it.

My answer, attempting to be more concrete: "Ocean chemists have developed several regimes in which they perform their observations and state their results; this regime best derives the activity of hydrate ions taking into account temperature, pressure, high salinity (especially), and a wide range of pressures in situ." Any more precise summary of the context would require at least a few more sentences. To synthesize all those nouns into a meaningful and sufficiently specific phrase really would give you a Standard Paragraph.

So. There we are. Sorry I can not be more obliging, I really have tried but this one defies easy answers.

The good news is, I will be off the list for the next week while on vacation. So you have plenty of time to consider or ignore these matters. :->

Thanks for all your help considering this matter.

John

[1] Pure Appl. Chem., Vol. 74, No. 11, pp. 2169–2200, 2002. INTERNATIONAL UNION OF PURE AND APPLIED CHEMISTRY -- MEASUREMENT OF pH. DEFINITION, STANDARDS, AND PROCEDURES (IUPAC Recommendations 2002)

================== Expert Recommendation on Naming ================

The definitions are:

(A) pH(total) = - log ([H+]total / k0) = - log ( [H+]free (1 + ST/K(HSO4-)) / k0)

(B) pH(sws) = - log ([H+]sws / k0) = - log ( [H+]free (1 + ST / K(HSO4-) + FT/K(HF)) / k0)

(C) pH(IUPAC) = operational pH calibrated using IUPAC primary standard buffers

NOTES:
1. Any measured pH value needs to also identify the temperature (& pressure) at which it was measured.

2. Although pH is a dimensionless quantity, the concentrations in (A) and (B) are specified in moles per kilogram of solution. That is k0 has the value of 1 mol/kg-soln. For (C), conventionally 10^-pH is thought of as a single ion activity for hydrogen ion with associated concentration units of mol/kg-H2O, though this is essentially meaningless for sea water.

3. ST = total concentration of sulfate ion in seawater - f(salinity)
    FT = total concentration of fluoride ion in seawater - f(salinity)
K(HSO4) = dissociation constant for HSO4 in seawater - free H+ scale; f(salinity, temperature) K(HF) = dissociation constant for HF in seawater - free H+ scale; f(salinity, temperature)

4. Values of pH(SWS) or pH (total) ultimately are not calculated from the definitions (A) and (B) but are calibrated relative to hydrogen ion concentration values assigned to Tris/Tris-H+ buffers in synthetic seawater using a Harned cell. These buffers are then either used directly to calibrate a pH probe, or are used to assign a dissociation constant to a colorimetric indicator.

5. The reference for pH(IUPAC) is Buck et al. (2002) (attached). Older data may have been calibrated using the same primary buffers (originally developed at NBS in the late 1950s).

6. pH(IUPAC) implicitly includes a term (often of unknown magnitude) that is dependent on the liquid junction design for the pH cell, and is thus not recommended for precise work.

I am not sure you can convey all this in 8 words or less. My preference is for definitions (A), (B) and (C), but if you are bringing separate data sets together, the devil could be in the details alluded to in the footnotes.