On 3/16/2010 1:31 PM, V. Balaji wrote:
Jonathan Gregory writes:

Dear John

Im not sure if we ever converged on how to write ensemble files.
No, we didn't. If I remember correctly, we couldn't agree on the relationship between attributes and coordinates, and that was a sticking-point. I thought that we ought to allow multivalued auxiliary coord variables for ensemble axes, corresponding to attributes that might be used to describe a single model. I would give these standard_names to identify them. Paco started the discussion, and in the end he made his own decisions for what to do for the ENSEMBLES project (because CF had not concluded), so he might comment on it.

http://ensembles.ecmwf.int/thredds/ensembles/stream2/seasonal/atmospheric/catalog.html

has examples of how Paco has it set up.
(esp see the "mother of all aggregations" :-).

It requires the ensemble to share the same space and time
discretization.

in this case, it appears that perhaps

     :standard_name = "realization";

would be used to figure out the ensemble coordinate (??)

a number of aux coordinates are used to describe the members, as pointed to by the coordinates attribute on the data variables:

  float g(time=1610, ensemble=54, level=5, latitude=73, longitude=144);
:coordinates = "reftime leadtime experiment_id source realization institution time_bnd";

  int realization(ensemble=54);
     :standard_name = "realization";
     :long_name = "Number of the simulation in the ensemble";
   char experiment_id(ensemble=54, string4=4);
     :standard_name = "experiment_id";
     :long_name = "Experiment identifier";
   char source(ensemble=54, string60=60);
     :standard_name = "source";
     :long_name = "Method of production of the data";
   char institution(ensemble=54, string15=15);
     :standard_name = "institution";
     :long_name = "Institution responsible for the forecast system";