I like this discussion because I learned a lot about rdf and the application. From the view of persistent identifier I would say a persistent identifier needs a persistent object. URIs and URLs are not persistent but what is the object behind it and what are the metadata of the object? The objects are the standard names for example air_temperature. If the definition (not the description) was changed in a sense that the object air_temperature changed we need a version.
But did this happen?
This is not a rhetorical question.
If not, we don't need a version of the standard name.
The metadata changed a lot. Having versions of the metadata is an other question.
Best wishes
Heinke