Dear Philip and John

I agree with what Philip says here:

> We could then tweak our current practice on this mailing list so that when a
> person proposes a std_name they should state (or perhaps there is a little
> bit of code to check) that the proposed std_name conforms to the existing
> grammar and vocabulary rules.  I think most of us would then provide only
> cursory scrutiny.  Perhaps there could even be an automatic timer so that if
> nobody objects within some time period (perhaps 1 month) then the name is
> automatically accepted.  Essentially the default decision for conforming
> names would be 'acceptance'.  I think this would also make the generation of
> the text descriptions either automatic, or perhaps obsolete, in many cases
> because they could be inferred from the grammar and vocabulary tables.

I could bring the grammar up to date as a starting point. I agree that it
would be possible to work out text corresponding to each phrase and thus
construct definitions, or at least a first draft of them. Units could also
be deduced automatically. I don't myself have the expertise or the time to
write scripts in support of this, to make it easy for proposers to use these
procedures e.g. on the web.

John writes:
> But where we are talking about adding generic modifiers, it seems to me a
> more automated approach is possible.  If the meaning of the modifier is
> clear, then no matter what name it is applied to, the meaning of the
> resulting compound should be clear.  If that is the case, then adding that
> modifier to an existing name should be verifiable mechanically.

If this refers to the standard_name modifiers, which are separate words
appended to standard names, then in fact no approval is needed. It is fine
to add these to the standard_name attribute. That is not regarded as creating
a new standard_name. In fact the modifiers were introduced to avoid having to
add such names to the table.

Best wishes

Jonathan