Sent: Friday, March 11, 2011 11:15 AM
Subject: RE: [CF-metadata] Proposal for new standard names - use of"sedimentation"

Thanks, Bert.

I am embarrassed to say that I didn't notice/remember/discover that CF already has the term/phrase we need until your email. It is:

gravitational_settling

This is used in 6 std_names, and has the meaning that we want, although the distinction/overlap with precipitation was never discussed, presumably because these std_names were connected to movement of aerosols.

An example of one of the existing std_names is:

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_black_carbon_dry_aerosol_due_to_gravitational_settling

Hence, I propose that we replace 'sedimentation' with 'gravitational settling' in your std_names for cloud drops.

I further propose that we still add text to the descriptions that clearly distinguishes 'gravitational_settling' from 'precipitation' along the lines you previously proposed.

As a footnote for the grammar discussion in another thread: I would have been more likely to discover the 'gravitational_settling' term if CF was using a grammar-vocabulary system.

Best wishes,

   Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, p...@llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended exclusively for the addressee(s) and may
contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient please notify the sender immediately and destroy this message.
Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
The foundation 'Stichting Deltares', which has its seat at Delft, The
Netherlands, Commercial Registration Number 41146461, is not liable in any way
whatsoever for consequences and/or damages resulting from the improper,
incomplete and untimely dispatch, receipt and/or content of this e-mail.