On 3/18/2011 10:21 AM, Christopher Barker wrote:

John -- I'm wondering if you have any idea about what the API of a reference lib should look like? If a time axis is defines as: "calendar months since January, 2008", what sort of functions do you image would exist to deal with that?

i am working on this for Java - I will post when i have something.

Also, I don't think I've seen any suggestions for how to express things like monthly averages -- i.e data that corresponds to a particular month, but not of any particular year.

hmm, im not sure. maybe this is where your "categories" come in, when the coordinate isnt actually a datetime coordinate. not necessaarily the same case when you have an average over a datetime interval.