Dear colleagues,
The fire disturbance ECV project will be quantifying burned area at a range of
scales. There are standards for emissions, but nothing on area.

I would like to request new standard names, burned_area and
burned_area_fraction. Burned seems to be more popular with American English, as
opposed to Burnt (I have looked at a few web sites).

burned_area
"X_area" means the horizontal area occupied by X within the grid cell.
The units would be m2

burned_area_fraction
"X_area_fraction" means the fraction of horizontal area occupied by X. "X_area"
means the horizontal area occupied by X within the grid cell. Burned area
fraction is area of the land surface occupied by burn scars.
The units would be 1

If the word burned did not work, we could always add the word vegetation to
make it more clear.

I would be happy to take your views and comments on this.

Kind regards,

Kevin Tansey
p.s. Do I need to join the mail list to get comments?