Dear Jim,

CF allows you considerable flexibility. The coordinate value should lie in the open interval from the beginning to the end of the month, but otherwise is unconstrained. Many folks put it at the mid-point of the month (half-way between the bounds), but if your coordinate variable is an integer and the units are "days since ...", then you can't do this, of course.

For climatologies, see section 7.4: http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.5/cf-conventions.html#climatological-statistics

regards,
Karl