Hi John-

On 8/17/11 5:50 PM, John Caron wrote:
In March I promised to do something with the "udunits handling of fuzzy
time units" email conversation. I now have a preliminary implementation
of extended date coordinates. docs are here:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/CDM/DateTime.html

If there's interest, I can propose as a CF convention. Otherwise it can
remain a CDM extension.

Thanks for tackling this. I'm just starting a project with non-standard calendars and this will help tremendously.

A couple of comment/questions:

- Why is the calendar field limited to integer types? It seems like one could use NcML to change the unit of an existing double time coordinate variable to be a calendar unit so it can be handled correctly, but then you'd have a scope mismatch. - Some geophysical datasets use units of millions of years before a date, e.g. Myr before 1950-01-01. It would be good to support the "before" syntax and also support "yr" as an abbreviation for year.
- perhaps you could support "mon" and "mo" for month as well.
- "grammer" should be "grammar" ;-)
- I don't think the "udunit date grammer" is any more difficult to understand than the ISO8601 grammar. It's basically the same.

Thanks again for tackling this.

Don
--
Don Murray