Isn't this part of the NetCDF Attribute Convention for Dataset Discovery?
I'm not sure we want to wander into that territory - wouldn't it be better
to recommend the use of the NACDD?

Also, the WMO platform id may seem like a definitive id, but, as I understand
it, these numbers are re-used (except in special cases).

I like the NACDD approach, that specifies both the id and the "naming
authority" that supports it; this combination "should be a globally unique
identifier for the dataset." So, if you've got a permanent wmo id for your
station, you can use that as the name, and use wmo as the naming
authority.

I use wmo ids myself, but it does not seem like an appropriate part
of the CF spec.

- Nan