Dear All,

I have reviewed the whole of the TEOS-10 thread and the follow-up thread
"SUGGESTED WAY FORWARD FOR CF-metadata:- lets finalize this discussion." This
email summarizes the position reached to date in all the discussions. This is a
lengthy posting so I have divided the summary into three sections: (1) the
outcome of the original proposal; (2) the resulting consequences for existing
names; (3) additional proposals for new names that have arisen as a result of
the discussion. If there are any points that I have failed to address, please
draw them to my attention.

(1) Outcome of the original proposal

The original proposal was for the following eight new standard names:
sea_water_conservative_temperature; K
change_over_time_in_sea_water_conservative_temperature; K s-1
sea_water_absolute_salinity; g kg-1
change_over_time_in_sea_water_absolute_salinity; g kg-1 s-1
sea_water_preformed_salinity; g kg-1
change_over_time_in_sea_water_preformed_salinity; g kg-1 s-1
sea_water_potential_enthalpy; J kg-1
change_over_time_in_sea_water_potential_enthalpy; J kg-1 s-1.

There has been considerable discussion of these names. There is agreement (in
fact, unanimity) that we should introduce the names with the single
modification that "enthalpy" should be replaced by "specific_enthalpy" to
reflect the fact that the quantity is enthalpy per unit mass. This requires
some reordering of the last two names, thus they will be introduced as:
specific_potential_enthalpy_of_sea_water; J kg s-1
change_over_time_in_specific_potential_enthalpy_of_sea_water; J kg-1 s-1.
These eight names are accepted for inclusion in the standard name table.

The units of the conservative temperature and potential enthalpy names can be
added to the standard name table exactly as written above. The salinity
quantities in g kg-1 are mass fractions and such quantities are usually given
canonical units of '1' in the CF standard name table, i.e. they are
dimensionless. Certainly this practice has been adopted for all the existing
atmospheric chemistry names, e.g. mass_fraction_of_benzene_in_air. (Ocean
biogeochemistry quantities have generally been expressed as mass concentrations
(units of kg m-3) or mole concentrations (units of mol m -3)). We can prescribe
canonical units of 1e-3, i.e. still dimensionless, but scaled. This has been
done in the past for sea_water_salinity and related quantities. Unless anyone
strongly disagrees, I propose to add the new salinity names to the standard
name table with canonical units of 1e-3 and add a sentence in the explanations
to say that the salinities are mass fractions usually expressed in g kg-1
 . The change_over_time names for salinity would then have units of 1e-3 s-1.
The full explanatory text for each name is given below.

The meaning of the names has been discussed at some length. Drawing on the
original proposal, the discussion, the teos-10 documentation and the usual
explanatory text for standard names I have constructed the following
explanations. Please let me know if any of the text needs to be modified.

conservative_temperature: "Conservative Temperature" is defined as a term in
the Thermodynamic Equation of Seawater 2010 (TEOS-10) which was adopted in 2010
by the international oceanographic community. Conservative Temperature is
specific potential enthalpy (which has the standard name
specific_potential_enthalpy_of_sea_water) divided by a fixed value of the
specific heat capacity of sea water, namely cp_0 = 3991.86795711963 J kg-1 K-1.
Conservative Temperature is a more accurate measure of the "heat content" of
sea water, by a factor of one hundred, than is potential temperature. Because
of this, it can be regarded as being proportional to the heat content of sea
water per unit mass. Enthalpy can be written either as (1) CpT, where Cp is
heat capacity at constant pressure, T is absolute temperature, or (2) U+pV,
where U is internal energy, p is pressure and V is volume.

change_over_time_in_sea_water_conservative_temperature: "change_over_time_in_X"
means change in a quantity X over a time-interval, which should be defined by
the bounds of the time coordinate. "Conservative Temperature" is defined as a
term in the Thermodynamic Equation of SeaWater 2010 (TEOS-10) which was adopted
in 2010 by the international oceanographic community. Conservative Temperature
is specific potential enthalpy (which has the standard name
specific_potential_enthalpy_of_sea_water) divided by a fixed value of the
specific heat capacity of sea water, namely cp_0 = 3991.86795711963 J kg-1 K-1.
Conservative Temperature is a more accurate measure of the "heat content" of
sea water, by a factor of one hundred, than is potential temperature. Because
of this, it can be regarded as being proportional to the heat content of sea
water per unit mass. Enthalpy can be written either as (1) CpT, where Cp is
heat capacity at constant pressure, T is absolute temperature, or (2) U+p
 V, where U is internal energy, p is pressure and V is volume.

sea_water_absolute_salinity: "Absolute salinity", S_A, is defined as a term in
the Thermodynamic Equation of Seawater 2010 (TEOS-10) which was adopted in 2010
by the international oceanographic community. It is the mass fraction of
dissolved material in sea water and TEOS-10 prescribes units of g kg-1.
Absolute Salinity incorporates the spatial variations in the composition of
seawater. This type of absolute salinity is also called "Density Salinity". In
practice, Absolute Salinity is often calculated from Practical Salinity and a
value of Absolute Salinity Anomaly which is found using computer software via a
global look-up table. The version number of the software used to convert
Practical Salinity to Absolute Salinity should be included by attaching a
"comment" attribute to the data variable. Standard names exist for the related
quantity, S_*, Preformed Salinity. Salinity observations made using
measurements of the conductivity of sea water should be given the standard name
  of sea_water_practical_salinity.

change_over_time_in_sea_water_absolute_salinity: "change_over_time_in_X" means
change in a quantity X over a time-interval, which should be defined by the
bounds of the time coordinate. "Absolute salinity", S_A, is defined as a term
in the Thermodynamic Equation of Seawater 2010 (TEOS-10) which was adopted in
2010 by the international oceanographic community. It is the mass fraction of
dissolved material in sea water and TEOS-10 prescribes units of g kg-1.
Absolute Salinity incorporates the spatial variations in the composition of
seawater. This type of absolute salinity is also called "Density Salinity". In
practice, Absolute Salinity is often calculated from Practical Salinity and a
value of Absolute Salinity Anomaly which is found using computer software via a
global look-up table. The version number of the software used to convert
Practical Salinity to Absolute Salinity should be included by attaching a
"comment" attribute to the data variable. Standard names exist for th
 e related quantity, S_*, Preformed Salinity. Salinity observations made using
measurements of the conductivity of sea water should be given the standard name
of sea_water_practical_salinity.

sea_water_preformed_salinity: "Preformed Salinity", S*, is defined as a term in
the Thermodynamic Equation of Seawater 2010 (TEOS-10) which was adopted in 2010
by the international oceanographic community. Preformed Salinity is a salinity
variable that is designed to be as conservative as possible, by removing the
estimated biogeochemical influences on the sea water composition. Preformed
Salinity is Absolute Salinity, S_A (which has the standard name
sea_water_absolute_salinity), minus all contributions to sea water composition
from biogeochemical processes. Preformed Salinity incorporates the spatial
variations in the composition of sea water because of its relationship to
Absolute Salinity. It is a mass fraction of dissolved material in sea water and
TEOS-10 prescribes units of g kg-1. Salinity observations made using
measurements of the conductivity of sea water should be given the standard name
of sea_water_practical_salinity.

change_over_time_in_sea_water_preformed_salinity: "change_over_time_in_X" means
change in a quantity X over a time-interval, which should be defined by the
bounds of the time coordinate. "Preformed Salinity", S*, is defined as a term
in the Thermodynamic Equation of Seawater 2010 (TEOS-10) which was adopted in
2010 by the international oceanographic community. Preformed Salinity is a
salinity variable that is designed to be as conservative as possible, by
removing the estimated biogeochemical influences on the sea water composition.
Preformed Salinity is Absolute Salinity, S_A (which has the standard name
sea_water_absolute_salinity), minus all contributions to sea water composition
from biogeochemical processes. Preformed Salinity incorporates the spatial
variations in the composition of sea water because of its relationship to
Absolute Salinity. It is a mass fraction of dissolved material in sea water and
TEOS-10 prescribes units of g kg-1. Salinity observations made using
 measurements of the conductivity of sea water should be given the standard
name of sea_water_practical_salinity.

specific_potential_enthalpy_of_sea_water: The potential enthalpy of a sea water
parcel is the enthalpy after an adiabatic and isohaline change in pressure from
its in situ pressure to the sea water pressure p = 0 dbar. "specific" means per
unit mass. Enthalpy can be written either as (1) CpT, where Cp is heat capacity
at constant pressure, T is absolute temperature, or (2) U+pV, where U is
internal energy, p is pressure and V is volume.

change_over_time_in_specific_potential_enthalpy_of_sea_water:
"change_over_time_in_X" means change in a quantity X over a time-interval,
which should be defined by the bounds of the time coordinate. The potential
enthalpy of a sea water parcel is the enthalpy after an adiabatic and isohaline
change in pressure from its in situ pressure to the sea water pressure p = 0
dbar. "specific" means per unit mass. Enthalpy can be written either as (1)
CpT, where Cp is heat capacity at constant pressure, T is absolute temperature,
or (2) U+pV, where U is internal energy, p is pressure and V is volume.

(2) Consequences for existing names

(a) sea_water_salinity
Much of the discussion has centred around whether we should deprecate the use
of the existing sea_water_salinity name by making it an alias of
sea_water_practical_salinity. The conclusion reached is that we should not
create the alias because: (i) there is in all likelihood much legacy data that
has been written using the standard name sea_water_salinity and to change it to
a narrower term risks altering the interpretation of those data, possibly
incorrectly; (ii) some numerical models have formulations of the salinity
variable that are definitely neither practical salinity nor any of the other
precisely defined salinity terms.

The name sea_water_salinity will be retained as a separate entity in the
standard name table. However, it was agreed during the discussion that its
explanation should be modified to make the interpretation of the units more
obvious and to henceforth deprecate the use of this name for salinity
observations. I propose to modify the explanation to read as follows: 'The
standard name sea_water_salinity is the salt content of sea water on the
Practical Salinity Scale of 1978 (PSS-78), usually based on the electrical
conductivity of sea water. There are standard names for the more precisely
defined salinity quantities sea_water_practical_salinity,
sea_water_absolute_salinity and sea_water_preformed_salinity. The more precise
standard names should be used where appropriate for both modelled and observed
salinities. In particular, the use of sea_water_salinity to describe salinity
observations made from 1978 onwards is now deprecated in favour of the term
sea_water_practical_salinity
  which is the salinity quantity stored by national data centres. The only
exception to this is where the observed salinities are definitely known not to
be recorded on the Practical Salinity Scale.'

(b) sea_water_temperature
There is agreement to retain the standard name sea_water_temperature as this is
useful particularly for observations. It currently has no explanatory text. In
response to the discussion I propose to add the following sentence: 'Sea
temperature is the in situ (bulk) temperature of the sea water, not the surface
or skin temperature.'

(c) units of sea_ice_salinity
While looking through the existing standard names for salinity (there are
twelve in the table) I noticed that the canonical units of sea_ice_salinity are
listed as 'psu'. I propose to change this to 1e-3 for consistency with all
other salinity names and because psu is not really a unit but a dimensionless
quantity. Psu is not part of UDunits. There have been past discussions on this
mailing list of using 'psu' as a unit and I think the general conclusion, at
least from the oceanography community, is that we should keep salinity units as
dimensionless.

(d) Do we need to modify the explanations of all the existing salinity
quantities?
As I mentioned, there are twelve salinity names already in the standard name
table. We have decided to keep sea_water_salinity with an expanded explanation,
but what about the other eleven? I assume we need to keep them, but do we also
need to expand their explanations in line with sea_water_salinity? How is
sea_ice_salinity calculated and/or observed? I think we need to be clear about
what these names mean in the light of the new additions. Is there likely to be
a future need to introduce tendencies, etc., for practical_salinity,
absolute_salinity and preformed_salinity? The existing names are listed below
for ease of reference and I would welcome comments on how to proceed:
change_over_time_in_sea_water_salinity; 1e-3
product_of_eastward_sea_water_velocity_and_salinity; m s-1
product_of_northward_sea_water_velocity_and_salinity; m s-1
sea_ice_salinity; psu (to be changed to 1e-3 as discussed above)
sea_surface_salinity; 1e-3
sea_water_salinity; 1e-3 (explanation to be modified as discussed above)
tendency_of_sea_water_salinity; 1e-3 s-1
tendency_of_sea_water_salinity_due_to_advection; 1e-3 s-1
tendency_of_sea_water_salinity_due_to_bolus_advection; 1e-3 s-1
tendency_of_sea_water_salinity_due_to_horizontal_mixing; 1e-3 s-1
tendency_of_sea_water_salinity_due_to_sea_ice_thermodynamics; 1e-3 s-1
tendency_of_sea_water_salinity_due_to_vertical_mixing; 1e-3 s-1

(3) Additional proposals for new names

(a) During the discussion it has emerged that there is also a need to introduce
new names for practical salinity:
sea_water_practical_salinity
change_over_time_in_sea_water_practical_salinity

There is agreement on the need to introduce these names to act as a more
precise description of salinity observations than we have previously had. They
are accepted for inclusion in the standard name table. As with the
absolute_salinity and preformed_salinity names I think these names should have
the units of 1e-3 and 1e-3 s-1, respectively. The suggested explanations are
given below.

sea_water_practical_salinity: Practical Salinity, S_P, is defined on the
Practical Salinity Scale of 1978 (PSS-78) and is calculated from the electrical
conductivity of sea water (as well as temperature and pressure). This name
should be used to describe salinity observations made from 1978 onwards;
practical salinity is the salinity quantity stored by national data centres.
The only exception to this is where the observed salinities are definitely
known not to be recorded on the Practical Salinity Scale. There are also
standard names for the precisely defined salinity quantities
sea_water_absolute_salinity and sea_water_preformed_salinity. Salinity
quantities that do not match any of the precise definitions should be given the
more general standard name of sea_water_salinity.

change_over_time_in_sea_water_practical_salinity: "change_over_time_in_X" means
change in a quantity X over a time-interval, which should be defined by the
bounds of the time coordinate. Practical Salinity, S_P, is defined on the
Practical Salinity Scale of 1978 (PSS-78) and is calculated from the electrical
conductivity of sea water (as well as temperature and pressure). This name
should be used to describe salinity observations made from 1978 onwards;
practical salinity is the salinity quantity stored by national data centres.
The only exception to this is where the observed salinities are definitely
known not to be recorded on the Practical Salinity Scale. There are also
standard names for the precisely defined salinity quantities
sea_water_absolute_salinity and sea_water_preformed_salinity. Salinity
quantities that do not match any of the precise definitions should be given the
more general standard name of sea_water_salinity.

(b) sea_water_knudsen_salinity

There seems to be agreement on the need to introduce this name for salinity
observations dating between 1901 and 1978. Am I correct in thinking its units
should also be 1e-3? I am not really familiar with this quantity, but a small
amount of reading around the subject seems to suggest that it should be
regarded as a mass ratio and that it is determined from the chlorinity of a sea
water sample using the relationships S=0.03+1.805Cl between 1901 and 1966 and
S=1.80655Cl from 1967 onwards. Chlorinity seems to have been variously defined
as the mass in grams of silver that reacts with 328.5233g of sea water and from
1967 onwards via a relationship with the conductivity of sea water. Suggestions
on how to improve this explanation would be most welcome.

(c) sea_water_reference_salinity

There has been a suggestion that this quantity should also be introduced as a
standard name. No comments have so far been received on this proposal.

I hope this is an accurate summary of everything that has been discussed so
far. Provided we can agree on the final wording of the explanations, all the
names that are now "accepted" can be added at the next update of the standard
name table. I intend to make the update during the first half of December.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment                          Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre    Email: alison.pamm...@stfc.ac.uk
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
R25, 2.22
Harwell Oxford, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.