Hi all -

I'm certain that this has been discussed, but I can't
find it anywhere in the email archive, or on the trac site.

Don't we allow a compound (comma separated) string
in the global attribute 'Conventions'?

Because there are new, complimentary  conventions
available - like the ACDD (discovery attributes) -  it would
be very handy to allow multiple conventions to be specified
in a single attribute: "CF-1.6, ACDD, OceanSITESv2.1.2".

Here's the text from the current version of the cf-conventions
document:

> 2.6.1. Identification of Conventions > > We recommend that netCDF files that follow these conventions > indicate this by setting the NUG defined global attribute Conventions > to the string value "CF-1.6". The string is interpreted as a > directory name relative to a directory that is a repository of > documents describing sets of discipline-specific conventions.

I'm not sure about the use of the directory structure in the
quoted section of the standard; is that actually used by a
lot of software? Would a separate attribute providing the
URL for the convention be more flexible/useful?

Thanks -
Nan

* Nan Galbraith                        (508) 289-2444 *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                                *