Hi Jonathan -

For underway CTD profiles (gliders and floats, too, I'd think) if the pressure
sensor fails intermittently, you can approximate Z by interpolating over
time, assuming there are good values along the track. In "final" data, we might do that, but we might like to present raw data in CF files, too. So, yes, this data
would be useful, with fill values here and there in the pressure record.

Are we getting into a grey area that might be outside the scope of the CF
standard -  judgements made about the usefulness of data?   Having all your
coordinates seems like an excellent NetCDF "best practice" and could certainly be a "rule" for many tools, but it could preempt the use of the CF standard for
some kinds of observational data.

Cheers -
Nan