On 3/28/2012 10:49 AM, John Caron wrote:
I think we have a number of valid use cases for missing data in aux coordinates, and i would vote to allow that.

sorry i didnt really answer jonathan's concern. I would suggest this wording:

Auxiliary coordinates do not have to be monotonic or have unique values, and may contain missing values. Data providers may choose to put valid data where the auxiliary coordinates are missing, but applications are free to assume that data is missing where the auxiliary coordinates are missing.